We always endeavour to meet & exceed our guests expectations. Whenever we visited somewhere for the first time, we liked to feel we knew what was in store. On this page you can see what’s included & all the optional services we offer. So you can plan ahead, relax & enjoy every moment of your stay at The Merchant’s House.
About the House & Gardens What’s Included + Optional Extras
The Merchant’s House has 4 suites, a kitchen & a breakfast/guest room, all of which have been carefully furnished & decorated to combine tradition with a contemporary standard of comfort. The layout of the house consists of 3 suites with a double bed in the main bedroom & separate sitting room along with a good size bathroom with shower. The 4th is a garden suite consisting of a single room with twin beds & good sized bathroom. The upper suites have high ceilings & views across the village, the garden suites lead directly onto the terrace.
The breakfast room [Katói] offers guests a breakfast & guest room for rare rainy days or those who prefer to eat in. The main kitchen can be used to prep for breakfast, lunch or dinner. There’s a ‘dumb waiter’ you can use from just near the kitchen, direct to the breakfast room, if you don’t fancy carrying things up & down!
Using local craftsmen, the properties were constructed, by hand, exactly as they were circa.1650. The suites, kitchen & breakfast room have all been individually decorated with a Venetian influence including period handmade beds & furniture. Decorated to reflect their past, whilst providing a contemporary twist & an exceptional level of comfort.
Each suite has its own private entrance & harmoniously combines the creature comforts of home with the assured feeling of staying in your own space while being a few steps away from each other, the garden, terrace, breakfast room & local tavernas.
Welcome Selection There will be a complimentary welcome selection waiting for you with all you need for your first breakfast plus a few extras & local products to get you off to a good start. Fresh towels & linen in all bath & bedrooms, plus a complimentary set of BeeKind shower gel, soap & shampoo for each guest in the bathrooms.
Considered as one of the finest restorations on the island, each property was restored by hand to match its origins c. 1650 & more recent restoration c. 1850.
Click the link to download a full copy of our Guest ‘Information Pack‘
Transfer, Car Hire & Getting Around: From our personal experience there’s nothing more relaxing than getting a transfer from the airport so you don’t have to drive straight away, or be met with your hire car(s) on arrival at the airport & download our map to get you safely & comfortably to your destination. We can arrange either the transfer or car hire too. When you get to the village by transfer, that day, or on the day after, hire cars can be ready & waiting for you outside the house. Dina or one of her team will be there to greet you at the airport &/or at the house & arrange the transfer &/or hire cars during your stay. Want to book that? We’ll put you in touch.
Welcome: On arrival, Dina will show you around, explain how things work, walk you through all you need to know & answer any questions. If you want to book anything with her i.e. trips in an 8-seater or hire cars (if you haven’t already) now’s the time. Dina’s got heaps of local knowledge so feel free to ask if you have any pother specific requests. Booking a ‘people carrier’ if available is great for dinners out or days out. But, please book in advance as it can get busy during the season.
Maid Service: During your stay you may want to have daily maid service [a mid week sheet & towel change is included] or you might want to hire a chef [please advise in advance of your stay.] We can arrange taxis or Dina can organise a ‘people carrier’ to take you to other tavernas & restaurants if you fancy a night out, or to beaches & attractions for days out or lunch by the sea.
Airco: The houses are quite cool as they’re so well built & the walls so thick, added to which you’re higher up than the coast – but we do offer optional use of the air conditioning if you want it. Just let us know, we have a small ‘honesty’ airco supplement for those suites that prefer to have it to hand, or are staying in the hottest weeks of the season, so guests get greater flexibility.
Eating Out: If you’re eating lunch or dinner in the village tavernas just let them know to be sure to get a table. For most tavernas & restaurants on the island it’s best to book those too. See also, ‘Things To Do‘.
Information Pack: There’s a simple one page welcome sheet with the house rules & immediate ‘need to knows’ on arrival at the house. There’s also a comprehensive Information Pack in the breakfast room to answer any questions you’re likely to have. Lights come on automatically at night & switch off around 11-12pm, there are torches & umbrellas in every suite & the village lights will help guide you as well. From around 10am – 4pm day trippers come & go as the village is increasingly popular, but from 3-4pm to around 10 am onwards the village is practically your own as only a handful of property owners are permanent residents. When the tavernas close (usually before midnight) those visiting for dinner return to their villas & peace descends throughout the night.
Bikes: If you want to hire bikes the best local company is S-bikes. They can be contacted directly, mention where you’re staying or ask Dina if she can book on your behalf.
Is there anything we’ve missed that you wish to ask about, please just ask. During your stay Dina [house manager] is there to help & just a phone call away [t. +30 694 5542689], Dina is based just at the bottom of the road up to the village. Olga [our caretaker] is at hand too & is always happy to help guests, deal with any problems or unforeseen questions &/or offer suggestions of what to do & where to go.
A Little More of the Detail
- All rooms are furnished with traditional hand-made furniture of the period c.1670 including sofas in each suite, minibars & a selection of antiques & paintings or pictures to compliment the interior design. Each suite has wardrobes and chests of drawers, tables, desks & chairs and is beautifully appointed.
- Highest quality of fixtures and fittings including Grohe taps & showers in each suite. The attention to detail in every room & each aspect of the property is built to the highest standard.
- Central Heating throughout [Buderus] thermostatically controlled in each suite & heated towel rails in all bathrooms. Not that it’s ever that cold, except in the winter.
- Use of Air conditioning throughout & individual remote control [Daikin] units in all suites are available [subject to a small surcharge].
- Wifi throughout** with additional wifi in the village tavernas.
- All suites have handmade doors & widows, with carpets upstairs & Italian granite ‘wood’ flooring in the garden suites.
- The property has a Buderus Boiler to heat the water & has a high quality recycling system for the waste and water, returning grey water beneath the garden.
- The property has 95% LED lighting throughout, double glazed windows, insect screens on all doors and windows & both hand-made & traditional Corfiot curtains. Curtain rails & wrought iron period door furniture.
- The terraced gardens are mainly laid to lawn, with a built in watering system & a rosemary/lavender hedging at the perimeter.
- All the wrought iron & internal/external woodwork is hand-made by local craftsmen.
- The house has a mains water supply, good power showers. A filter water tap in the main kitchen for filtered drinking water & ‘dumb waiter’ access between the kitchen & breakfast room.
- All the cutlery & crockery you need, plus pots & pans & everything you’d expect to find in your own kitchen awaits you. Filtered drinking water is ‘on tap’ in the kitchen too. The breakfast room can be used for dining or sit outside on the terrace & catch the early morning shade ahead of the sun drenching the house & gardens.
- Solely for the use of guests, the property has one of the most attractive areas of land nearby, between 6-7 stremma (1.5 acres), It’s by the iconic Skordilis Arch and the historic ‘look out tower’ (part of the land) with views to the sea.
- ** Just a heads up: As you’re up in the mountains if the wifi is a little weak, in that case you can try logging in at any of the tavernas or pick up free wifi in most coffee shops, bars & tavernas everywhere you go.
Out of the Ordinary
“Once you have navigated up the narrow roads and found the place you start to unwind and realize you are somewhere very special. A lovely old house that has been beautifully restored and with lovely hosts dedicated to the protection and future of Old Perithia. Mark and Saskia have created something quite special and very different from the touristy beach resorts. The place is like stepping back in time as you explore the ruined historic village and its enjoy it’s simple taverns.” One of our guest reviews – see more on the the link below…