The Merchant’s House has a full EOT license, the license given by the Greek Tourism Authority. We are insured with InterAmerican & are an independently owned house & business. We also own the land adjacent to Skordilis Mansions & remains of the the look out tower. The village of Old Perithia is ‘Heritage Protected’ & ‘A Designated Area of Natural Beauty.’
Here’s a quick overview of ‘all you need to know’. Plus a copy of our full Terms & Conditions:
Bookings & Payment | what’s included & what’s not.
Included: On arrival you’ll be met, either at the airport (if you choose the transfer or our local car hire co.) or at the property. At the house you’ll receive a welcome pack with a selection of food & drinks to get you started. All the rooms have fresh towels & linens (changed once a week) & you’ll have a complimentary bathroom set of Gilchrist & Soames ‘BeeKind’ shower gel, shampoo & conditioner + soap. We’ll show you where everything is & how everything works + you’ll be given a ‘need to know’ sheet with a run though of the most important things to note during your stay (also available below).
Guests have use of two upper suites, a garden suite, a twin room, breakfast/guest room, the main kitchen in suite 1 with access to the ‘dumb waiter’, and use of the private garden & terrace.* Each suite has its own front door & keys + a key for the breakfast / guest room & kitchen in suite 1. The guest room has seating for 8, as do the garden tables & chairs. *The remainder of suite 1 is a private area. There’s also a rechargeable torch & umbrellas in each suite (just in case you need them).
Optional Extras: There is optional use of the air conditioning for each suite (if required) & subject to a small supplement – please ask for details. If you want the maid to come up more often or other additional services please ask & we can confirm the costs ahead of your stay + organise any requests in good time. Damage to the property, breakages or breach of house rules will be be chargeable as per cost of repair/replacement. The house & airco keys are expensive & difficult to replace so lost keys will be charged at €80 each to cover replacement.
Let’s Get Acquainted | On Arrival…
Welcome to Old Perithia & The Merchant’s House To make the most of your stay, here’s a few helpful hints & house rules. You’ll find more detailed information in the Info Pack located on the desk in the Breakfast Room [Garden Suite 4]:
Dina: [main point of contact] is located just 10 drive minutes away in New Perithia next to ‘Ice Dreams.’]
Dina, (of North Corfu Travel and partner at our local car hire co.) is our house manager & will meet you on arrival, either at the airport or at the house. Dina is local to the village, knowledgeable, kind and helpful & will be happy to help with anything during your stay. After Dina talks you through the welcome points, she’ll be contactable each day from around 9am (except in the case of emergency) and can answer any questions you have. Dina can help with anything you need to make your stay easygoing and/or if you have anything you’re uncertain about the house. Dina’s mobile [or text] no. is (+30) 6945 542689
Doors & Security: Each Suite has a set of keys that include your own private entrance key, a key to the breakfast room & a key to access the main house where the kitchen is located. You’ll need to insert the ‘paddle’ in the slot by your entry door to turn on the electricity – this triggers the electricity for your lights etc. The paddle doesn’t turn off the airco units so please do that prior to leaving your suite/ the house.
- Always lock your suite door whenever you go out & ensure all doors are shut & locked whenever there’s no one at the house. Theft is very rare on Corfu, but if you leave doors and windows open you’ll not be insured against loss, just so you’re aware as you would be liable for any theft or damage.
Windows: The windows in each suite are ‘European style’ tilt or open. From a closed position, turning the handle 90 degrees anticlockwise will open the window, you’ll then see a red topped lever on the inside of the adjacent window which enables you to open that by pulling it toward you. Do the above in reverse to ensure the windows are closed properly – please do not force them. If you just want the window on tilt, from closed… turn the handle 180 degrees anticlockwise & vice versa to shut when closed. If in doubt please ask Dina or Olga.
Insects: We tend to always keep the nets down. As we’re in the couuntryside there are quite a few creatures around & unless you want them with you in your room, it’s best to keep the nets down at all times. Easier to keep them out than get them out.
Just a few House Rules:
- ARRIVAL TIME: If you’re being met at the airport & using the transfer or hire cars to get to the house then your timings are already noted by Dina. However, if you intend to arrive at the house directly it is important to let Dina or Mark & Saskia know at least 48hrs ahead of arrival so someone is at the house to meet you. Arrival times to be arranged with Dina to allow for changeover & preparations, if you arrive early please wait in one of the tavernas until the agreed time, if you’re running late please advise asap as Dina’s office is 15 minutes from the property & she may have other clients to check-in elsewhere so you can arrange a convenient alternate time.
- CHECK-IN is at either 15:00, 15:30, 16:00, 16:30 or 17:00 Request for an early check-in or a later check-out can be requested & will be subject to final confirmation with the owner as this will depend on the arrival & departure of other guests on the changeover days, so may not be confirmed until near to the travel date.
- FIRES: No fires, no smoking & no candles inside the suites. [The Fire Brigade tel. no. is 199]
- LOO PAPER: Please use the small bins provided, it’s a ‘Greek thing’ but our recycling system may get damaged by unnatural items, thanks. We endeavour to minimise our environmental impact, so the property has a full ecological waste recycling system. Please do not put anything in the loo’s/wc’s that may cause damage, i.e. no toilet paper or paper of any kind, cotton buds, wet wipes or sanitary items.
- STUFF AIN’T WORKING?: If there are any breakages or things aren’t working please tell Dina, and we’ll put it right asap, we want you to be happy and to ensure you and the next guests have everything as you’d expect it. Please take great care of your keys, if they’re lost we’ll need to replace the locks and it’s expensive, we’d rather you spent your money on having a good time!
- RUBBISH: Hidden behind the gate by the well in the garden for Recyclables & General Waste.
- EMERGENCY CONTACTS: In the main kitchen & breakfast room you’ll find a list on display of all the main contacts you might need during your stay.
- DEPARTURE: Please advise Dina of your exact departure time so she can be at the house half an hour beforehand to check you out, check the house & get the keys back + ahead of your trip back safely to the airport. Whether by transfer, or if leaving your hire cars at the airport please allow enough time to catch your flight.
- CHECK-OUT time is anytime up to 10:30 on the day of departure. Request for an early or a late check-out should be made at least 4 days prior to check-out & is subject to final confirmation with the owner as this will depend on the arrival and departure of other guests on the changeover days.
Main Kitchen & Breakfast Room
The fully equipped main kitchen in suite 1 is for cooking & preparing meals & there’s a dumb waiter direct to the breakfast room. There’s filtered water ‘on tap’ in the main kitchen by the sink. The ‘Breakfast Room’ is in garden suite 4 & seats 8 You can use it for light bites on ‘rainy days’ or if you fancy being inside, or have breakfast on the terrace. All suites have a mini fridge, Nespresso machine & kettle for your convenience.
Other ‘Need to Knows’
- The village has 4-5 tavernas all within a 1minute walk from the house.
- Parking is in the rough parking area at the top of the village. On arrival you can drive down to the house to drop your stuff, but then please park back up after. We have a space for cars on the small track that runs to the left just before the house & after the first taverna (Ognistra) where you can use a the drop off point or to park a single vehicle if you wish.
- The village can get busy with day trippers from around 10am to 3/4 pm, the rest of the time it’s generally quiet and much to yourselves.
Have a Great Stay. Dina is available to help, please ask her anything!
THE MERCHANT’S HOUSE | FULL TERMS & CONDITIONS
Payment Terms All bookings must be done through The Merchant’s House. A payment of a 25% deposit is due with the booking (refundable up to 28 days before arrival) and the remaining balance to be transferred to our account 28 days prior to arrival. Any additional costs during your stay will be payable within 48 hours of departure.
Under no circumstances can the number of guests exceed 8, unless by written prior approval of the owners of The Merchant’s House. Should additional guests be found to be staying, all guests will be requested to leave & no refund will be given.
In case of any ‘accidental damages’ the owners of The Merchant’s House will inform the guests within 48 hrs of their departure, whereupon they shall be liable for any costs that are incurred. We will provide a written quotation for enquiries received with accurate rates at time of request. All rates quoted are also subject to change until confirmed with an official confirmation invoice.
Covid-19 Government Protocols You must ensure you comply with all protocols of the Government of your holiday destination as well as your own Government’s protocols including the departure and arrival requirements. The policies are changing on a regular basis. We also strongly advise you check and seek travel insurance that covers for cancellations due to covid-19 or medical assistance if required when abroad.
Pets No pets are allowed.
Children Please chat with us if you have requirements for your children so we can advise accordingly. If you are travelling with children it is your responsibility to ensure they are supervised at all times, as The Merchant’s House cannot be held responsible for them. Upon request, up to 2 cots can be provided at no extra cost.
Smoking No smoking (fires or candles) in any part of the suites nor any bbq’s or fires in the garden or land owned by The Merchant’s House.
Safety Our Guests safety is important to us. The property is extensively safety checked each year including all of the certified fire equipment, an annual boiler check & carbon monoxide detectors / smoke alarms in the kitchen & breakfast rooms. Guests are kindly requested not to smoke, light fires nor burn candles in any of the suites or near the house. A fire hose is located outside suite 2 & 3 fire extinguishers located around the property with additional fire & safety equipment in the boiler room.
Cancellation Up until 28 days before the arrival date, any cancellations will be refunded in full [less a €100 administration fee] otherwise the balance of the full payment is due on or before that date & is non-refundable. Any cancellations after the 28 days prior to check-in are non-refundable unless by special arrangement by the owners.
Liabilities If for any reason or circumstances beyond our control, the property is not available for the dates booked we will advise you where possible by email 28 days in advance & your deposit will be returned. However, if such circumstances occur whereupon we are unable to notify you in advance then all charges paid in advance will be refundable in full. In either case, there shall be no further claim against the owners either for the booking or any associated costs as a result of the cancellation.
Use of the House | Damages The use of the house is strictly as a private holiday residence. The property manager or the owner of the house has the right to evict guests & terminate the booking if found in breach of contract. This includes overcrowding, intoxication or unsavoury behaviour, physical or verbal assault, wilful damage to the house, any incident which results in the police attending the house, any behaviour posing a threat to others, ignoring advice to reduce excessive noise, or use of illegal substances, smoking within the villa or having a party without prior consent of the owner. Guests must leave the property clean and in good order and will be responsible for any breakages, loss or damage notified to them within 48hrs of departure. The owners shall be entitled to charge for the cost of remedying any breach of these obligations and a copy of the repair invoice will be sent to the client. There is a mini fridge in each suite along with a Nespresso machine & kettle. Please do not cook in the suites. The breakfast room in suite 4 has a toaster, coffee machine, fridge, microwave & kettle for light breakfasts (continental) snacks & light lunches. Cooked food is to be prepared in the main kitchen to avoid cooking smells etc. in the breakfast / guest room. Our house manager [Dina Sirioti} is an employee/owner of North Corfu Travel and not The Merchant’s House.
Legal The contract between you and us is governed by the law of Greece and we both agree that any dispute, matter or other issue that arises between us will be dealt with by the Courts of Greece.
General You may not transfer your Booking or any rights and responsibilities under these Booking Terms & Conditions to any other person, without our prior written consent of the owners.
Insurance | Force majeure & issues beyond our control Every effort will be made to ensure the standard described for the property and all items of equipment described and supplied by the owners are in good working order. However, no guarantee is given, nor liability accepted, if any breakdown occurs that is beyond our control, or there are power failures, or temporary failure to the utilities such as water and wifi, due to the weather, strikes, problems with the municipality, utility companies, or actions that are also beyond our control. Repairs, and restoration of utilities will always be effected as soon as possible. It is a compulsory requirement that you and your party have the necessary insurance cover to protect for medical needs, cancellation, flight delays, force majeure, travel disruption cover and personal liability. The Merchant’s House bears no responsibility if your travel insurance does not meet any requirements you may need for a claim. The owners, their employees and agents of The Merchant’s House shall not be liable to any person for any personal injury, loss of, or damage to property, however caused or sustained. The Merchant’s House is insured with InterAmerican and they will make the final decision, in association with the relevant Greek laws applicable at the time should any of the above unfortunately occur. The Merchant’s House bears no responsibility in the event of personal accidents to any guest. Guests should ensure they have taken adequate holiday insurance to cover themselves during their stay. Safes can be found in the majority of the suites for valuables, but the owners do not accept liability for loss of personal items. If any part of the property is left unlocked when guests are absent from the house, any theft, loss or damage and costs of repairs or replacements will be the responsibility of the guests.
Disclaimer We carefully monitor all of the information on our website; however, we are not responsible for any errors or omissions.